Winter has been extremely long and claustrophobic. Anyone else feel this way!? I am a homebody (no shame) and don’t mind staying home, but man, it’s like the weather has been holding us hostage because of bitter cold and treacherous conditions. I don’t mind winter, mostly because I am indoors, but I also enjoy sunshine, fresh air and warmth! I’ve tried to take advantage of the extra time spent indoors by finishing a few projects that have gone awry since the holidays hit, but I’m even finding that challenging. Sometimes all I need is one piece or a new arrangement of furniture to give me the motivation to give our house a fresh look!
I’ve compiled a list of ways 20 Ways to Change Your Room Now, with little to no money to complete! The round up includes lots of good stuff and I think you’ll enjoy it just as much as I did. Let’s dive right in!
2. Paint your trim white or even a shade of gray.
3. Cover your sofa in a slipcover.
4. Paint your walls or paneling a lighter color.
5. Spray paint your light fixtures black. With this easy tutorial from Lehman Lane.
6. Remove your outdated window treatments and hang woven shades instead. I LOVE these and have used them in all our bedrooms. You could either hang them in the window, or mount above to not lose any precious light.
7. Buy a potted plant. Big or small and decorate like the pro, Joanna.
8. Purchase new dining chairs, or paint your existing ones. These ones are classic and sturdy for the price.
9. Add more lighting. Try a floor lamp or wall sconces without electricity by using the “Magic Light Trick” by Nesting with Grace.
10. Repurpose a dresser for your TV stand, this one is still my favorite.
11. Rearrange your furniture. This may give you some fresh ideas.
12. Hang a pair of affordable white curtains, like this pair from IKEA for only $30.
14. DIY and hang a photo ledge with this great tutorial from Chris Loves Julia.
16. Add accent shelving to display pictures and seasonal decor. Check out this tutorial using IKEA shelf brackets.
17. Do an accent wall of removable wallpaper
18. Buy a new throw blanket. World Market has some great, affordable options.
19. Update your cabinet hardware. Check out these ideas.
20. Hang a planter from your ceiling. Fill it with faux or real greens.
I hope this breaks down the anxiety or fear you may feel about beginning an update in your home. Start small. Pick one thing and do it. Do it well. See how it makes you feel. If you’re inspired, try another one until your home starts to reflect you and your family in a way it never has before.